How to get QnA working?

Hi everyone! I have a fresh bot running and installed @botpress/builtins @botpress/nlu @botpress/qna. My goal is to have a set of questions and answers, and when the bot can’t find the answer, wait for a human to respond.

I can add questions and answers in the dashboard qna module, but when I type in the exact question, nothing happens. How do I get QNA to actually do something?

Cheers, Carl

@rwprodev, are you getting any errors in console? Can you provide me with it’s output?
Also, can you check “Middlewares” tab in admin panel: is botpress-qna middleware enabled?

Same here!

I’m using the latest version available (10.46.0). Qna middleware appears in the list of middlewares, just after that of NLU. Should I do something else?

I have only created questions and answers from the GUI. I tried with exact questions and nothing happens. Any ideas?

Are you getting any error in the terminal or client-console?

No, I don’t have errors, nor any clues in the console.

I’ve tried to reproduce an error locally like this:

1. I’m initializing new bot
  2. I’m adding qna module
  3. In qna-module I add an item with “What’s the weather today?” question and “It’s fine today” answer.
  4. I wait a few seconds till NLU is synced
  5. I type in “What’s the weather today?” and bot responds with “It’s fine today”

@lmoralejo, @rwprodev, it could happen that for some reason your question doesn’t get recognized by NLU. Could you retest on botpress 10.46.4?

I am seeing the issue with 10.46.5, here is the log:

02:16:25 - info: [NLU::Rasa] Synced model [Model=model_20181010-021624]
02:17:19 - error: QnA Error TypeError: _this2.storage.fetchQuestions is not a function
    at Object._callee5$ (/usr/share/botpress/node_modules/@botpress/qna/bin/webpack:/src/index.js:160:47)
    at tryCatch (/usr/share/botpress/node_modules/regenerator-runtime/runtime.js:65:40)
    at Generator.invoke [as _invoke] (/usr/share/botpress/node_modules/regenerator-runtime/runtime.js:303:22)
    at Generator.prototype.(anonymous function) [as next] (/usr/share/botpress/node_modules/regenerator-runtime/runtime.js:117:21)
    at step (/usr/share/botpress/node_modules/@botpress/qna/bin/node.bundle.js:671:191)
    at /usr/share/botpress/node_modules/@botpress/qna/bin/node.bundle.js:671:437
    at new Promise (<anonymous>)
    at /usr/share/botpress/node_modules/@botpress/qna/bin/node.bundle.js:671:99
    at filterByCategoryAndQuestion (/usr/share/botpress/node_modules/@botpress/qna/bin/webpack:/src/index.js:62:33)
    at Object._callee6$ (/usr/share/botpress/node_modules/@botpress/qna/bin/webpack:/src/index.js:197:36)
    at tryCatch (/usr/share/botpress/node_modules/regenerator-runtime/runtime.js:65:40)
    at Generator.invoke [as _invoke] (/usr/share/botpress/node_modules/regenerator-runtime/runtime.js:303:22)
    at Generator.prototype.(anonymous function) [as next] (/usr/share/botpress/node_modules/regenerator-runtime/runtime.js:117:21)
    at step (/usr/share/botpress/node_modules/@botpress/qna/bin/node.bundle.js:671:191)

Hi @Haythamamin! As far as I know, the categories are loaded from the configuration file as qnaCategories
(Comma-separated list of categories to use within QNA-module). Maybe that can help you.

Hi guys,
I still can not walk QnA. I downloaded the module to understand what happens. What I found is that in middleware.js, it does the following:
const id = event.nlu.intent.name.substring (NLU_PREFIX.length);

I checked it and in the storage, they are generated with a random prefix. For example:

"id": "3ow9xm6ila_preguntaNombre",
   "data": {
     "questions": [
       "preguntaNombre"
     ], ...

The prefix '3ow9xm6ila_' is generated automatically, it is not entered by the user. Is it configured with some variable that I am omitting?

If I force the id to '3ow9xm6ila_preguntanombre' in the middleware line, the module works fine.

In short, the module does not work for me because it does not find the question by Id.

How can I solve it? What am I doing wrong?

OK! This solves the Categories issue, thanks! Still there is an error with QnA module as mentioned above.

Hi! Do you have any news about this post? Is there any direct communication channel? Sorry, but I still can’t make work the QNA module…

Hi, could you share your repository for me to try out your configuration?

Thanks, Alex!

I will try to get access. I will consult with my client.

Anyway, could you clarify two things?
1- Is it okay for the id of the questions to be saved with a random prefix? For example: “3ow9xm6ila_questionName”, when I only entered “questionName”.
2- If it is good that this is so, could you explain why you are looking for it like this (Code below) and do not take into account the prefix?
const id = event.nlu.intent.name.substring (NLU_PREFIX.length);

Maybe you are clarifications, help me solve the problem.

Thanks!

It’s fine that intent-names have prefix.
This prefix isn’t random - it’s an id of a QNA-item which is used to fetch it.

How does the qnaQuestions filter work? Any idea?

Do you mean filter available in the admin-ui?

Yes @alex! The one across from the category one. Also, the category filter does not preform its intended task.

@Haythamamin, I’ve just tested those filters on my installations and they seem to work fine. Could you specify which issues you are facing and how to reproduce them?

Sure! Im running Botpress 10.50.0 and here are the errors I get in the console:

I get the following error when I try to select a category or try to filter the questions:

17:01:33 - error: QnA Error TypeError: storage.fetchQuestions is not a function
    at Object._callee5$ (/usr/share/botpress/node_modules/@botpress/qna/bin/webpack:/src/index.js:161:42)
    at filterByCategoryAndQuestion (/usr/share/botpress/node_modules/@botpress/qna/bin/webpack:/src/index.js:63:33)
    at Object._callee6$ (/usr/share/botpress/node_modules/@botpress/qna/bin/webpack:/src/index.js:198:36)
    at new Promise (<anonymous>) TypeError: storage.fetchQuestions is not a function
    at Object._callee5$ (/usr/share/botpress/node_modules/@botpress/qna/bin/webpack:/src/index.js:161:42)
    at filterByCategoryAndQuestion (/usr/share/botpress/node_modules/@botpress/qna/bin/webpack:/src/index.js:63:33)
    at Object._callee6$ (/usr/share/botpress/node_modules/@botpress/qna/bin/webpack:/src/index.js:198:36)

it might have been fixed in 11, but I cant migrate to 11. Actually I have lots of feelings about the new version XX.