Custom Content Type and Custom Rendering

Hi -
I am new to Botpress.

I just installed the latest version ‘botpress-ce-v11_0_1-win-x64’ of Botpress.
I was going over the documentation and i found some explanation about Content Type, Content Element and Content Rendering. But it is not very clear as to how I can create a custom type and it’s rendering.

Also reading further in the section ‘Creating Modules’ it says:
“and soon they will be able to add new content types and content elements”.

so, I am not able to clearly understand how can i create custom content type and it’s rendering that is specific to my domain.

I am trying to understand if I have to add custom elements like Radio Buttons or Checkboxes or Dropdowns in my response that is displayed in the web chat for instance, how can i achieve that.

I would highly appreciate if someone can provide some example or link to the documentation.

Thanks in advance.

This is the main problem here in Botpress. Even I wanted to achieve the same but the documentation is very pathetic.

Sorry Botpress guys for being very honest to your face. I’m sure you guys did a great job in creating this but lack of user friendly documentation makes is look very low class. I had tried V11 but it breaks when I use Carousel.

Too bad! I hope you guys take this serious and start writing some quality, user friendly documentation with well written example codes.

Cheers,
Neeraj

v11 isn’t stable yet. I’d recommend you to use v10 and relevant documentation.

hi Alex, thanks for your reply.
quick follow up question around this.
can i use the v11 and still follow v10 documentation to create custom type, rendering or they are incompatible. also can you point to the v10 documentation that describes how i can create custom response messages with elements like checkbox, radio buttons etc.

v10 isn’t compatible with v11, so this wouldn’t work.

Creating custom elements in the webchat is possible via webchat-extensions.

Hey @alex im following the recipe webchat-extensions but im getting an error try to compile it.

ERROR in ./src/index.js
    Module build failed: SyntaxError: Unexpected token (17:10)

15 |   };
      16 |
    > 17 |   return (<select onChange={handleChange}>
         |           ^
      18 |     {(slots || []).map((slot, i) => (
      19 |         <option value={slot} key={i}>
      20 |           {slot}

I think im not adding the react component correctly. Is it possible you share how the index.js file should look like?

I figured out the issue! I was putting the react component in the wrong index.js file. Now I compiled and linked the plugin try to use it but im getting the following in emulator:

This is my function which I invoke to use the new content type:

/**
 * Use botpress-webchat-plugin-select type
 */
async function webChatSelect(state, event) {
var data = [1,2,3];
    event.reply('#select', {text: 'Select option',type: '@botpress/botpress-webchat-plugin-select',data: { slots: data.slots }})
}

Any idea why im getting the error?

update!

Error went away after pointing type to full path of module. Now I only get the text without the drop-down menu.

'#select': data => ({
        text: 'Select option',
        type: 'modules/botpress-webchat-plugin-select',
        data: { slots: data.slots }
        })

Also, in browser console I see this error:

Error rendering plugin Error: Subview "Entry" doesn't exist for module
"webchat-plugin-select"

@banoresaurabh did you try this plugin before? Can you help me understand why its not working properly? Im kinda of in a time crunch :frowning:

Do you have smth like export const Entry = () => null; as in example?

@Haythamamin Can you share your code in module i am trying to do the same but it does not work