A few n00b questions

Hi all, first of all I am a total newbie and typically I hate asking questions as a noob! However I have read the entire document and looked through this forum and could not find any good answers. If you know that something is answered somewhere just send me in the right direction and I’ll happily look.

I have started with the newest version (v11.3) and don’t think it makes sense to learn the older version…

I like the idea of using “intents” especially if I would have the ability to automatically switch between languages and not even have to translate everything (not sure if that is even possible but from what I understand about being able to use NLU and even RASA or other plugins this should be technically possible, right?.

(1) My first question is if it is possible to use intents as well as setting up a flow using “single choice” to let the user know what the possible questions might be?
(2) I tried to do this and transitioned one of the recognized intents to a choice in the same flow which caused a loop… I can’t figure out logically why this might have happened. If I transition to a sub-flow, this does not happen.
(3) I have not been able to figure out what the differences between the community edition and the “pro” edition are… I dont really have a budget for anything however watching the most recent video on youtube showing the Authoring GUI, it looks like there are even more possibilities than the version I am using. If it is worth it and the pro version doesnt cost too much I’d try to get funding.
(4) I want my bot to start talk to my user when he/she opens the chat… how can I do that? I cannot figure that out and I know it must somehow be possible! FYI I have only been testing from the chat emulator.

I think that is all for now!
Thanks,
David

p.s. even if you could help me with one of the questions I’d be thankful!

is if it is possible to use intents as well as setting up a flow using “single choice” to let the user know what the possible questions might be?

Yes, it’s possible.

(2) I tried to do this and transitioned one of the recognized intents to a choice in the same flow which caused a loop… I can’t figure out logically why this might have happened. If I transition to a sub-flow, this does not happen.

11.x isn’t stable yet so this might be a bug in botpress itself.

(3) I have not been able to figure out what the differences between the community edition and the “pro” edition are… I dont really have a budget for anything however watching the most recent video on youtube showing the Authoring GUI, it looks like there are even more possibilities than the version I am using. If it is worth it and the pro version doesnt cost too much I’d try to get funding.

There’s no documentation on this yet, sorry. But I believe community version should be fine for bots with small to medium load.

(4) I want my bot to start talk to my user when he/she opens the chat… how can I do that? I cannot figure that out and I know it must somehow be possible! FYI I have only been testing from the chat emulator.

In 10.x this is described at https://botpress.io/docs/10.50/recipes/proactive/

Thank you very much! I am aware that 11.x is still beta. I figure that makes more sense to start learning with the product of the future and not the past! :slight_smile:

I moved from 11.3 to 11.4 and more problems with the transitions than even before… I won’t rethink my plan, I’ll just be patient and hope that the problems get fixed! So far I am excited with how well everything works compared to a few other bots I have looked at.